Sunday, January 20, 2008

Living in the future

Hello there,
Before I start, I would like to apologize for my very long absence. I have been thinking long and hard about a topic to blog about and though I don't think I've found my inspiration yet, this is good enough for now.

Ever heard of the phrase 'Living in the Future'? I've heard of living in the past but seldom have i heard of living in the future. I was chatting with a good friend two nights ago about faith and hope. Ah, the two wonderful aspects of our lives that we cling on to, most of the time to keep us sane. Take hope to start with. Imagine a life without hope. What would it feel like to not be able to hope for a better day, or a better job, better paycheck, better grades. Imagine working so hard at work without being able to hope for a raise. Aimless work as some would call it. I find it completely impossible to live without the aspect of hope.
Then there's faith. This little word carries with it a lot of importance. Without faith, we would have no reason to expect better things or a better life. We would want things, and if they happen, we take it as pure chance. If they don't happen, we would take it as bad luck. I digress.
After the chat, I realised that I'm living in the future. My whole life is based upon what will and is going to happen. Everyday, I'm looking forward to a new day, or a new week because it seems as though there's always something good that is GOING TO HAPPEN. However, I rarely enjoy the present moments. Take this example. It is typical of us malaysians to plan for lunch during breakfast and dinner during lunch and so on. This little habit of ours portrays that we live in the future! The present never seems good enough and therefore, we constantly discuss and plan for the future. We often add in elements of hope and faith just to make the future seem much more interesting and anticipated.
Why is it that the present is never good enough? Why can't we make things right so that we can have a better PRESENT, instead of FUTURE? I have been told a few times that the future has much more in store for me, that I'm going to be happier than I've ever been and that things will finally work out. This sort of advice/prediction has only made me live in the future much more.
I'm tired of looking forward to things that are supposed to happen. I want to learn to be happy with my present, live it to the fullest and not worry about the past or future. Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot of hard work, not just from me but from a lot of others.

A Better Future Starts with a Great Present

Signing out!

No comments: