On a platter March 1, 2008 at 8:50 pm
For the last two days I’ve been giving a jumping clinic at the Selangor Turf Club Equestrian Centre to Sukma riders. The Terengganu riders have come all the way from their molly-coddled lives in Kuala Terengganu, while the Kedah girls are actually STCEC based. Then there are a few STCEC riders who have no Sukma connection.
The Terengganu Sukma showjumpers have had everything presented to them: LAS helmet, Aigle boots, nice breeches, and even decent horses. Their lessons are paid for, their hotel in KL as well. All they have to do is show up for their lesson and do what the coach tells them to do.
They listen pretty well in the lessons when they eventually get there but so far it has been Terengganu time every morning. This morning they were 45 minutes late. Okay, it was raining a little, but the two Kedah girls, Amanda Sivaraj and Stacey Victor were out there with me, working their way around a small course. If the Kedah kids who haven’t even been given so much as a pair of gloves could be bothered to work in the rain, I didn’t understand why the Terengganu kids thought they shouldn’t get a little wet.
I believe it is true that you appreciate things a little more when you have worked for it instead of having it given to you. I think back to when I was not much more than a kid, trying to make and save money for university. I was serving National Service in Singapore, earning S$230 a month. I had to be in camp to fall-in by 0720 hrs. I would wake up before 0430 hrs so that I could work two horses before heading off to the rest of the work-day. The money I made off the horses was even more precious because I knew how hard I worked for it.
I’m not against riders who have everything presented to them on a platter. Just those who don’t know how to appreciate it. I know how fickle life is: you never know how long you are going to stay lucky. I just hope my Terengganu turtles wake up and smell the roses.
Taken from: Pete's Blog-in-the-garden. http://www.equestrian.com.my/blog/polo/
So yeah, It was so annoying how those Terengganu riders just didn't bother to show up on time. Amanda and I were soaking wet, even with our rain jackets. And to make things just a little more 'interesting' and wet, I fell off Spotty, right into a huge puddle of muddy water. Haha. It was really gross, but I still got back on and jumped him. From Pete's post, I'm glad to see that my efforts those 3 days didn't go unnoticed.
Attached are some pictures from todays competition at Putrajaya. Wish me luck for showjumping tomorrow!
On another note, I just found out that 'some people' are pissed because I cancelled on the outing today. If you are reading this and you know who you are, I actually have other things going on in my life. I woke up at 5am today to drive to Putrajaya and I haven't slept since. So please, do not take my unavailability personally. I have nothing against you or anyone else in the group. I'm just exhausted.
Due to unending pestering from Sam, I've been forced to mention her in this post. Sam stayed over at my place on thursday night because she was too afraid to drive home. She also lost her way coming to my house and ended up paying RM2 tol. haha. Poor thing. Learn from your mistake Sammie. Anyhoo, I had fun. We were up till as late as we could keep our eyes open and mouths moving, talking and going through my diary and other stuff. I had fun Sammie. We should have these sort of unplanned sleepovers more often.
Signing out!
3 comments:
LOL omg.
first things first: DONT STEAL ANYHOO! its mine damnit. hehe.
and haiyooo, i ask u to write about me then u go write about my horrible sense of directions for the world to see la? thanks woman.
hehe but i had fun too :)
Mmmm.... horse riding, girls in the rain, sleepovers... the perfect blog post.
Sammie, anyhoo is not yours!!Don't be so perasan
And Leon, Haha!! It would be even more perfect if I attached pictures right;-)
Post a Comment