Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's kind of nice to be nice.

I have no idea what happened to me yesterday. I guess the universe decided it was time for a change, I was being so nice to everyone around me! Especially the person I'm always mean to. It was very odd. I was seriously suprised at how nice I was being. And the most perculiar part was, didn't even have to put in any effort. It just came naturally. It felt kind of nice to be nice. The things people said that would ordinarily annoy me, didn't at all! I was able to sit down, listen and actually show interest in certain topics that would ordinarily force me to roll my eyes a hundred times. I felt pretty good about myself. Although I knew not everyday would turn out like that, I was glad to experience at least one day with my naturally nice self. I haven't experienced this self of mine in a long long time.

Apart from my emerging 'nice self', yesterday was as dull as any other monday. First 2 classes were unbearable. Seriously, it's impossible to listen to what she teaches. I have to force myself to stay awake because it is so darn easy to fall asleep. There's this one guy in class who has succesfully mastered the art of sleeping while sitting upright. It's amazing. He sits in the exact position as when he's awake, but the only difference is, his eyes are close. It is really amazing how some people can do that. And he does this during every single class. Anyhoo, since I haven't mastered that yet, I resort to other measures to occupy myself.

And believe me when I say, this is only from one of the classes. Imagine how many of these I have. But I usually draw stuff, then cut and paste them in my textbook, like the one below.

In my previous post, I questioned how it is possible for people who are annoying to not know that they're annoying. Now, I'm asking a similar question. How is it possible for people who are boring to not know that they're boring. Take the classroom scenario as an example. Most of you would definitely have experienced quite a number of boring teachers/lecturers in your lifetime. Don't you wonder how they can expect you to concentrate and actually be motivated to study!

"There are three things to remember about education. The first one is motivation. The second one is motivation. The third one is motivation" (Sigelman & Rider, 2006).

There's something I always wonder. They were students themsleves once upon a time, right? Whenever it was, they were in our position and surely they would've been 'blessed' with some boring lecturers in their time. Wouldn't they want to 'change the world' and make it a better place. Surely, they wouldn't want others to suffer as they did, right? I guess some of them are just mean and want payback. Grrrr. Obviously Gandhi's saying 'Be the change you want to see in the world' has no effect on them.

Another obvious example would be speeches. Everyone and literally EVERYONE has to endure listening to speeches quite often in their lives. Most of us know how painful and unbearable it is to have to listen to boring, long-winded, unnecessary speeches. However, most people go on and do the same thing when it's their turn to give speeches. This especially applies to those 'Kementerian' and 'Jabatan' people who come to schools to give speeches during like speech day and stuff. Gosh. Unbearable!

There is a point to this post, in case you were wondering. Please, when the time comes for you to give a speech/lecture/get involved in any activity of such sort, try to make it as interesting as you can. And if you don't think you're the kind of person who can be interesting, then please choose another line/career. Don't let the poor souls who have to listen to you suffer. I'm sure you know how it feels, and it's not nice AT ALL. As the bible says, "Do unto others as you want others to do unto you". Nobody wants to be bored.

And relating this part to the 'niceness' part in the beginning, when you're interesting, you make others interested and motivated and thus, happy! So, you're being nice...And it's kind of nice to be nice! :-)

Signing Out!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ahh...so 'the dream' you had is leaving a lasting impression... heheh hoping you have more of those dreams...(Pssst! leon! FYI stacey had this dream but she can't say what it was about coz it'll be jinxed..) I'm curious what has inspired this change of personality...whatever it is it's quite refreshing. The other day I actually heard he LAUGH for the first time in a really long time. And not just the polite i'm-humoring-you-coz-I-have-to-coz your-jokes-are-so-pathetic type of laugh, like a real that's-so-funny-I-really-mean-it-from-my-core type of laugh..haha I was quite pleased with myself. Drat! I can't remember what it was I said to make her laugh tho...

Hmm..maybe it wasnt even me..maybe it was 'the dream'..

Leon said...

Omg I am now intrigued!