Saturday, May 10, 2008

9 lives

Do you believe that cats have 9 lives? Well, I've always thought that statement was just a myth. However, last week, I witnessed something so shocking yet miraculous, I can't help but believe that cats really do have 9 lives. I've never seen anything like it.

I got out of the car when I reached home one day. My sister and Isabel were with me. As we got out, we saw the neighbor's two cats that we always play with (nicknamed 'friendly cat' and 'cheeky friendly cat' because the latter playfully nibbles on us once in a while). They were lying right smack in the middle of the road. So as usual, we went to pat them, while trying to get them to move away from the middle of the road and on to the pavement. Shortly after, we heard a car coming. So we moved on to the pavement. We made all kinds of sounds just to try to get them to move on to the pavement. The car was coming at full speed. The cheeky friendly cat realised this and moved on to the pavement. However, friendly cat just sat there. We continued calling it and making sounds just to try to get it to move but it didn't. Before we new it, it was too late....

The car literally rolled over friendly cat. We heard the sound of the car going over the cat, similar to a sound that would be heard if a car ran over a log. I froze. I just couldn't move. I witnessed the entire incident much to my dismay. The idiotic car didn't even slow down. Not even a little bit!!! It continued on at full speed!! And even before it ran over the cat, how blind was the driver!!! The cat was right there, the driver couldn't have missed it. But....here's the miraculous part; even though the car rolled over friendly cat, it still ran away as though nothing happened. It ran behind the neighbor's house and disappeared. It was baffling. The 3 of us were still in shock because all of us saw the car roll over the cat, and we also saw the cat running away perfectly fine.

Call it what you want; miraculous, freaky, pure chance, an illusion, supernatural or luck, I truly believe that cats have more than one life (might not necessarily be 9). It was truly amazing, to me at least. I was very shocked and worried after. I walked behind the neighbors house 3 times to look for the cat, but it wasn't there. I still haven't seen it since that incredible day, but my mom has and she says it looks fine. However, this experience made me wonder; What if we humans were given 9 lives? How would each of us live our lives the next time around. Better yet, do we really want 9 lives?

I guess at this point in my life, I wouldn't want anything more than the life that I already have. My life now is not great, but who's to say that the next few will be better. They might be just as bad or even worse. It's so easy for us to say "I wish I could turn back time. i would definitely do this and do that differently". I have a hunch that it's easier said than done. I suppose when it's our time, it's our time. We should not fight it or try to change it. We should just embrace it. Everything happens for a reason.....

Signing out!

No comments: